" SpiritofSaltSpring:BC:Canada:GulfIslands:SaltSpring:Salt Spring:

April 12, 2010

Renting on Salt Spring: Musical Houses

This is my new home. As you can see, it's really, really small. That's why it's really cheap. Sure, it needs  a paint job. But, it's cute inside and I'll make it cuter, well not personally, the decor I mean.

It has a real fireplace which I'm thinking could be good (for Santa) but not so good when it comes to roof  rats (ugh). Welcome to paradise. You don't see photos likes these on the REMAX site now do you?  

I put an ad on the list that said, "Where Art Thou Rental Robin Hood?" and lo and behold, she answered. Well, her son did. They were looking for the right tenant, not even advertising it and I guess that would be me.

I'm not exactly sure how I"m going to fit my stuff in there but let's just say I'm paring down even further. Somebody give me an award for my small green footprint. I keep wondering if I'm in training for some sort of future incarceration. I really shouldn't even have that thought in my head. Get it out!
The good news is that it's completely private and separate from the main house. There is no 85 year old living in the attic. The bad news is that if I have to go pee in the middle of the night, I have to climb backwards down stairs without a railing. Won't be living there when I'm 80 obviously.  The bad news is that I can't fit my bed in the loft because it already has a mattress and it's too small to accommodate mine. The angle of the eaves is too steep. So, I'm stuck with the smaller, thinner mattress that is there which seemed comfortable enough but it's not mine!

The good news is that I can get my funky couch back from Linda and Tom which is big enough for someone to sleep on if they visit or for when I just can't bear to climb up to the loft.

The worst news is that I am moving again.

Welcome to the annual past-time of living on Salt Spring and being a renter. 

I'm not going to lie to you, not having a stable home base sucks. But, that's the way it is when you live here and you rent. It's not pretty! 

Oh, and by the way, if anyone ever says you can have free rent in exchange for just sleeping overnight to watch over their aging mother, run, immediately, screaming from the room.

I've verified it beyond a shadow of a doubt. There is no such thing as free rent.

No comments: