" SpiritofSaltSpring:BC:Canada:GulfIslands:SaltSpring:Salt Spring:

September 23, 2010

Farm Stand to the Rescue

There's a farm stand just two doors down from where I live. It's a little square wooden structure with a cover and a shelf. There's a locked money box and the honour system is in place. You take what you want and you place your money in the box.

Tonight, I needed some tomatoes to add to some basic pasta. I didn't have any. I wanted to taste a freshly grown tomato, not the kind you buy in Safeway. I walked down to the stand hoping there were tomatoes for sale and sure enough, they were there packed into the plastic tub above with rosemary branches stuffed in for a decorative effect, adding a wonderful aroma. Grab the rosemary branch and run your fingers up it and the essence of rosemary remains on your fingertips and has transferred to the smooth red/yellow tomato skins.

I've bought a delectable summer squash there about a month ago and a friend purchased sunflowers on my behalf that stayed on my mantle for a sunny week.

You just never know what might be there at these home-grown zero mile gardens on sale. I like to think of the people who own the stand arriving, excited that the fruits of their labour have found a new home,  stealthily, with only the smiles of satisfaction and anticipation on the faces of those who have purchased, anticipating the flavours on the way back to their own kitchens.

No comments: