" SpiritofSaltSpring:BC:Canada:GulfIslands:SaltSpring:Salt Spring:

October 14, 2008

Savouring the Day


I don't know about you but there haven't been all that many days in my life that stand out for me as being ecstatically happy. Not nearly enough anyway. And, I've learned from experience that when one of them happens it makes sense to savour it, be grateful for it, revel in it, and just soak up the emotion of happiness and contentment dripping every cell of your body like chocolate soaking the peanuts in a peanut buster parfait.

That's how the past few days have felt. I know I'm gushing and it must be quite annoying to read.

But, I spent a good portion of today with someone who seems very unique and I'm just a little in awe at my good fortune to live somewhere so beautiful, in love with my wonderful cabin, and now meeting this person who thinks, in his words, that "I'm hot!"

Do you know how long it has been since someone has thought I'm hot? I don't even know that anyone has ever really VERBALIZED that. They might have thought it but they've never really verbalized it in such straightforward language.

And, he's 10 years younger than me! Just the fact that he thinks "I'm hot" is good enough for me. I don't even care if anything happens after this - just the fact that he thinks "I'm hot" is enough to put a smile on my face for at least a week!

When I picked him up he was hammering while listening to classical music. "Are you listening to that?" I said. "Yes," he said. "I love peace. Classical music is peace."

"That's unusual," I said.

"What?"

"I don't know you seem kinda young to be into classical music? You're a little unusual," I said.

"I'm unusual?" he said, looking straight at me as if to imply I might not exactly be an objective judge of such things.

"Well, get used to it," he says "because that's what Saltspring is. "If you want cookie cutter human beings (if there is such a thing) you're in the wrong place."
Good answer I thought. And, we proceeded to have a great conversation throughout lunch; a conversation that makes me just shake my head because he seems to be aware of things that are really important to me. Things about human nature that have taken me a lot of soul searching over the years to understand.

No comments: