" SpiritofSaltSpring:BC:Canada:GulfIslands:SaltSpring:Salt Spring:

November 21, 2008

Ferron, Still!


Tonight I went to see Ferron. I chose this photo above (which is actually in front of Pauline's house here on Salt Spring) because seeing Ferron sing is like seeing an old friend.

She'd be someone I'd want to sit down and have a conversation with. I like her irreverance. I like her love of words. She's a poet.

She spends half her time on Saturna Island and the other half in Michigan on Ojibwe Land. She herself is a Metis - something that, from what I gather, took year and years to trace.

I hadn't seen her perform for probably more than 20 years. The last time I saw her I must have been in my 20s and it was at the Vancouver East Cultural Center. No matter how many times I listen to her music it withstands the test of time. For me. And apparently a lot of other people. Lesbians mostly.

She has an old album called Testimony. I'd really like to get it. If you've never heard her, listen to this.

No comments: